War. Spies. Gossip and lies. Mythical Creatures. Falling in love. And it’s still only July.
It’s 1917, and everyone is doing their bit now that America has entered the Great War—everyone except 17-year-old Emma Verlaine. Her overprotective dad won’t let her go to nursing school while he’s off doing war work; instead, she’s been sent to stay for the summer with her Gran on an island off Cape Cod, and the most she’ll be able to do for the war effort is knit socks. Socks!
As it happens, island life isn’t so bad. There are the seals that seem even more fascinated by her than she is by them. There’s the new Navy Air Station that guards the coast from German U-boats where she’s determined to get a job. But most of all there’s Malcolm, whose family owns a resort hotel on the island and who gives her swimming lessons and delicious kisses.
But danger lurks in the waters off the island. Only Emma can save her new home—if she accepts that everything she thought she knew about her life is a lie, and that the seals are following her for a very good reason…
“Malcolm and Emma are appealing characters, and their sea-crossed romance keeps readers turning pages…. Engaging and fun.” —Kirkus Reviews
“What Lies Beneath beautifully knits patriotism, self-discovery, and bravery galore into a mystical pattern of young love and legendary lore!” —5 stars (Crowned Heart of Excellence), InD’tale Magazine
“Enchanting Selkie tale joins well-researched history in this light-hearted adventure that teens are sure to enjoy.” —Historical Novel Society
- New Jersey Romance Writers Golden Leaf Award, Winner in the Paranormal category
- Mid-America Romance Writers Carla Award, second place
- Orange County Romance Writers Book Buyers Best Award, finalist in the Young Adult category
- Killer Nashville’s Silver Falchion Award finalist, Young Adult category
- Georgia Romance Writers’ Maggies Award, finalist, Young Adult category
- Virginia Romance Writers’ HOLT Medallion Contest, finalist in the Young Adult category
- North Texas Romance Writers The Carolyn Readers Choice Award, finalist in the Paranormal category
- RONE Awards, finalist in the Young Adult category